Jeff, Charles,

I basically used the same strategy when I wrote u2pipe, which is a C program that uses InterCall to connect with the U2 database. To add functionality, I add a Unibasic subroutine and a method in whatever web language -- right now ColdFusion and PHP, and looking to add ASP.NET soon.

U2pipe relies on an external socket listener: xinetd for linux, inetd for AIX, and wininetd for Windows. The socket listener does not have to be on the same machine as U2 as long as it's "reachable" via the network. Using config files, multiple connections can be made (one socket port mapped to one U2 connection). I'm working on a connection pooling version, but it's not ready for prime time.

The web server doesn't need to be on the same network. All of our deployments use a remote web hosting solution. So the web server is hosted in one state, while the actual U2 database is in another.

The code and documentation is on www.PickWiki.com.

Jeff Butera wrote:
In a nutshell, I wrote a small C program which leverages Intercall to make connections to the database. This is a lightweight program which requires little to no maintenance. In short, the C program is merely the connection between Perl and Unidata, passing commands from Perl to a single subroutine on the Unidata side. That subroutine, in turn, does all the work and then returns the data back to Perl.