> From: Bob Witney
> This sounds exactly what I need
> OK guys how do I get Uniobjects for .net from IBM
> (know you are out there) How much is it ? Can I
> download it etc etc What does it need to run on my
> pseries server for it to work

Bob, UniObjects.NET is free in the "Client" package which is
available for both Unidata and Universe.  See a blog posting I
wrote which may help you to decide which package to install.
removepleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/mv/2008/09/u2upgrade1.html
Note that the Universe package has an older version of UO than
the Unidata package.
You can download the UDT_7.2cl.zip file from the IBM web site or
get it from your VAR.  It's 540MB, but you don't need the whole
thing.  Someone might question whether the UD package will hurt
your UV installation, but I have UD and UV running on the same
system here, and the UD Client and related UniAdmin, all with no
problem.

When you get the package, install the UniDK.  It has docs and
samples for UO.NET in both C# and VB.NET.

Information about installing UO.NET is mixed with this posting I
wrote about using mv.NET with UO.NET:
removepleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/mv/mvnet/2008/10/mvnet-u2-01
.html

In a higher volume site you do have an important consideration:
If you have a single-threaded process and it's occupied when new
transactions are trying to get through, the connection will
bottleneck, and may timeout as described with the ODBC handler.
So if you're doing this with UO.NET, you can get away with 1
connection for testing, but be mindful about what might happen if
the transaction count goes up quickly.  You can write your own
connection manager and when you find a backlog on one connection
you can spin up another and just keep track of the connections in
a thread pool.

Here's the ad: mv.NET does all of that for you.  I encourage you
to try both UO.NET and mv.NET (which uses UO.NET as a simple
pipe) and evaluate them for yourself.

If you want to use U2 connection pooling with UO.NET to get
around the backlog issue, there is a code sample in the UniDK -
and you should talk to your VAR about purchasing the connection
pooling license.

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development and training services