Kevin, for free and from IBM, why not UOJ?

If you're using a typical shared host you may be able to use web
services from PHP to a middle-tier server and use that to get
into U2.  The MySQL server and HTTP servers are usually separated
at LAMP sites anyway.  Doing it this way, the middle-tier,
connectivity technology, and database are all completely
independendent of the UI.  So for free and not from IBM, have a
look at http://nusoap.sourceforge.net/.

I also wrote a blog about this FAQ:
Nebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/mv/2008/10/mvbindings1.html
It would be nice to get some movement on that.

Then not for free and not from IBM ... there are alternatives.

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com