We have two phantom processes.  The first phantom needs to wait for an event
to occur with the second phantom.  I realize that I could have the first
phantom loop, check, then sleep.  However, I'd like to avoid wasting
resources.  Back on the Prime, I could use semaphores, to control this flow
and this was clean, and simple.  Has anyone come across a means of having a
phantom wait on "something", so it only wakes up when it needs to perform its
function?

To try to explain better:

Phantom1:
Loop
  Wait on semaphore
  Perform a shared process  (batch updates would be an example)
Repeat

Phantom2 (3, 4, ...):
Loop
  Process records