Hi Tony,

Would this be a UniData PE problem, or would it be a problem with some
other (unrelated) software listening on port 22 ?

Regards

        - Chris Thornton

"Tony G" <1tlx6h...@sneakemail.com>
Sent by: owner-u2-us...@listserver.u2ug.org
06/03/2009 06:43
Please respond to

cc

Subject
RE: [U2] [UD] Unexpected telnet/SSH error

Bill - the problem isn't that I want to run SSH or that I can't
find telnet.  Although I do have 7 MV DBMS platforms running on
my system and none of them run on default ports.  :)  I did
accidentally telnet to the wrong port, but then found the right
port, oops, mea culpa.

The issue is that it looks like anyone can generate a mysterious
server desktop dialog simply by telnetting to the SSH port.  That
would have to annoy someone if it happens at the wrong time and
you're not sure what caused it.

Try it.  If your default for Telnet is 23 and SSH is 22, just
Telnet to port 22 and see what happens.

> From: Bill Haskett
>
>    G-Man:
>    Is something listening on port 22?
>    Bill

>    From: Tony G
>
> This started out to be a bug report, but now I'm not sure if
it's
> just a "don't do that" issue.
>
> Whenever I connect to my Unidata PE 7.2 over Windows via
telnet,
> an unknown software exception error dialog would display on the
> _server_ desktop.  I realized this was because I was telnetting
> onto the SSH port.  OK, oops, don't do that.  But I'd consider
> this a bug.  Can someone else verify this behaviour and then
> report it to IBM through proper channels?

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.