I'm trying to save the first field of a .csv file to a select list, Yes, I can
write  a program,
   but I also wanted to try to do it on the fly.

Using UV10.0.2 , unix on Information format

The source data looks like:
'#12345566#','first','last',.....
'#12344555#','first','last',.....

Basically, field one has the item ID of another file.

The source file gets read into a tempory file input file

I created an I-desc of the following:

SWITCHIT
0001: I
0002: CONVERT(REUSE(@AM),REUSE(@VM),@RECORD) ; FIELDS(@1,REUSE(","),REUSE(1))
;
  CONVERT(REUSE('"# '),REUSE(''),@2)
0003:
0004: DATA
0005: 20L
0006: M

The above will convert the whole record into one mutlivalue attribute,
then strip off the first field delimited by the ","
then strip out the # ,' and spaces

LIST FILENAME ITEMNAME SWITCHIT ID-SUPP   will list to the screen exactly what
I want
and so does
SELECT SWITCHIT FROM FILENAME WHERE @ID = 'ITEMNAME';

Now....How can I put that data into a saved-list? (Using either TCL or SQL?)
for that matter, how do you save a list using SQL on Universe? I tried
creating a view, but was told I
    had to create a schema in order to create tables...that's no fun...

I could open a como file, list the output with no headings close the como
file,
edit it clean, the form-list the como file (work around 1)

George