I have used EXECUTE "!curl ..." in  a number of  apps and it definitely does
not take an iphantom licence.

However i use it not to get round licencing (as this is usually from a
uniobjects call anyway) but because for some reason curl is many times more
efficient than callhttp. I presume the udt process has to load some library
to run the callhttp, whereas the execute is just the normal *nix process
spawn overhead. Anyway we did it as we had occurrences of the callhttp
taking say 6 or 7 hundred milliseconds but the execute curl took 2 or 3
hundred and in a very heavily used web service (between 5 and 50 calls per
second) this adds up to quite a difference.