Sorry, Jeff, you can't.  Best you can do is:

  DICT GM.GMF TURNS
  0001: I
  0002: SUBR('*CALC.TURNS',SMF.LINK)
   0003:
   0004: TURNS
   0005: 7R
   0006: S

I've always considered it a serious shortcoming. Theoretically it ought to be possible. It was a shortcoming for Prime, but UV & UD have both perpetuated it. (How about QM?) That suggests technical difficulties beyond my ken. I'd like to hear guys like Clif Oliver, Glenn Herbert, Dave Meeks, & Martin Phillips tell us their perspectives.

Chuck Stevenson
Jeff Schasny wrote:
Is it possible to have an I descriptor which does a TRANS() to an I descriptor in another file which is a subroutine?
For some reason mine wont compile.

Original I descriptor in file GM.SHF:
01 ED DICT GM.SHF TURNS
This is a Type "I" Descriptor last compiled on 07/14/09 at 08:49.
20 lines long.

----: P7
0001: I
0002: SUBR('*CALC.TURNS',@ID)
0003:
0004: TURNS
0005: 7R
0006: S

Trans I descriptor in GM.GMF:

>ED DICT GM.GMF TURNS
This Type "I" Descriptor must be compiled before use.
14 lines long.

----: P7
0001: I
0002: TRANS(GM.SHF,SMF.LINK,TURNS,'X')