Consider becoming a customer integrator and use the web XML API. It's not
that complicated to implement if you're doing domestics only. If you're
doing international, then it's a bit more complex but nothing like FedEx.
We've been fully automated with both FedEx and UPS in terms of
domestic/international shipment processing, credit card charging, billing,
and invoice delivery for well over 2 years now. The drawbacks to using the
UPS XML service are:

1) It's not a SOAP service so you have to do your own element checking for
proper return document format.

2) The shipping process requires multiple submissions to the UPS server.
First, a request to verify you can ship the package is sent. Then you send
an "ok" to tell UPS that you're fine with the previous "inquiry" to ship a
package. Then you get your label and charges. I don't understand this at all
because the package will not get billed if it's not scanned at the hub. :-)

3) You're tied to a web service that can (and will) go down at some point.
Have a backup processing plan with WorldShip. UPS has been good, for the
most part. FedEx has gotten better, but there are still times when the FedEx
Ground back-end disappears and we get goofy 'unavailable' errors.

4) If you process a lot of collect shipments, then be weary of the "fraud
validation" step that validates the bill-to account's "set up" zip code to
the account number being charged. If you can't get the zip code the account
was set up under, then you'll end up having to run it through WorldShip.
Most shippers are totally unaware of this and the fact that WorldShip does
_not_ validate account status at all. It only performs an alphanumeric check
on the 6-chars. You will get a chargeback after delivery, if the account has
been closed or suspended. We have been fighting with UPS for over 2 years on
this stupid "fraud check" that is practically worthless and makes us look
like we don't want to do business with huge customers. The live account
status check is great, though.

5) The validation/certification step is a breeze to do, but you will have to
generate a handful of example labels to prove your stuff works properly for
the services and features you want to integrate.

 The benefits of automation and full integration into the packing
application on our system outweighed these drawbacks. If you ship over 1000
packages a day then you should consider an EDI or FTP based PLD
build/transmit solution and generate your own labels. WorldShip changes too
much too often for it to be a stable integration platform for my taste. We
have to have it for HazMat shipments and as a fall-back shipping terminal.

Regards,

Glen Batchelor
IT Director
All-Spec Industries