From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Oaks, Harold
Sent: Thursday, 23 July 2009 7:01 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] FW: Universe just quits

Thanks to all who made suggestions.  I'm definitely going to use some of
them to improve processing.

Good news: Universe is not at fault!

So why did the process just end?  Because a background process we run
logs out processes idle for more than 3 hours.  To determine idle time
we check the 7th column of the output from the unix command "who -HTR".
Here was the surprise for me:  even though the process was furiously
performing I/O, as far as that unix command was concerned, it was idle.
Oops! Easy to fix that, of course.

The best parts of this were that UniVerse came through as more robust
than I had worried it wasn't, and that contributors gave me some great
advice.

Thanks again to all.
Harold Oaks