As usual, we're in agreement.  I should clarify that I would
avoid writing or generating code that makes use of the XMAP API
to process specific documents of any real complexity.  That sort
of code is just too rigorous and personally I don't think it
belongs in the MV engine.

What I should have said is that I am thinking about generating
mapping files, rather than using XML/DB.  Yes, with my very
limited undertanding of the XML extensions, I believe you're
right if you're saying code that operates on mapping files can be
hardcoded.

If I do generate mapping files, I would also need to create the
related data files and dict definitions.  Well heck, rather than
do this using U2-specific tools I'd much rather use something
cross-platform, like Java or .NET, and avoid the nested
relationships issues that Greg cites as well as a bunch of others
that may be lurking within the U2-specific tools from IBM.

I'll be making decisions very soon...

Best,