Jeff,

     A quick way to get this info is to use the CREATE.FILE command and
enter "?" at the file type prompt:

  1      Sub-UFD type file, for large records or source code.
  2      Hashed.  Keys end with numbers.
  3      Hashed.  Keys end mainly with numbers.
  4      Hashed.  Keys end with letters.
  5      Hashed.  Keys end with full range of ASCII characters.
  6      Hashed.  Keys begin with numbers.
  7      Hashed.  Keys begin mainly with numbers.
  8      Hashed.  Keys begin with letters.
  9      Hashed.  Keys begin with full range of ASCII characters.
 10      Hashed.  Keys are numbers.
 11      Hashed.  Keys are mainly numbers.
 12      Hashed.  Keys are letters.
 13      Hashed.  Keys are full range of ASCII characters.
 14      Hashed.  Entire keys are numbers.
 15      Hashed.  Entire keys are mainly numbers.
 16      Hashed.  Entire keys are letters.
 17      Hashed.  Entire keys are full range of ASCII characters.
 18      Hashed.  Entire keys are of arbitrary form.
 19      Sub-UFD type file, for large records or source code.
 25      B-tree.  Best for large file with small static records.
 30      Dynamic linear hashed.  Modulo with change to fit file size.

Hope this helps!

Jeff Fitzgerald
Fitzgerald & Long, Inc.
http://www.fitzlong.com