UUCP is definitely old-fashioned.

The best approach (in my opinion) is to NFS mount the file systems from
the production server onto the test server, then use some utility to copy
the raw files over.  We use cpio.

The syntax is something like this (run on the test server):

mount -r ProductionServer:/u1 /mnt
cd /mnt
rm -r /u1/*
find . -depth -print | cpio -pd /u1

Runs fast, works like a charm.  The only caveat is that the cpio is
oblivious to UV access to the data files, and if they are large and people
are accessing the files while the cpio is running, you will run the risk
of GFE's.  We've got about 50GB worth of data, and I run it at night and
we don't have any problems.  It seems to take an hour or so to complete.
I'm not sure why, but sometimes the indexes need to be rebuilt on the test
server when it's all done.

If you really, really need to get past the live access/GFE issue with a
monster file or two, I'd suggest turning off the flag that prevents NFS
access to files without UVNet, then create an empty file the test server,
fiddle up a VOC entry for the live file and use the UV COPY command to
pull the records over.

Finally, the toughest part about setting it up is sorting through the
security stuff to get the NFS mount to work.  It's tough enough to do in
Unix, beats me how you do it in AIX.

Dave Barrett
Project Manager,
Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company (LAWPRO®)
250 Yonge Street, Suite 3101, P.O. Box 3
Toronto, Ontario  M5B 2L7
Tel: 416-598-5872
Fax: 416-599-8341

waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying
of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended
recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please
delete it and advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne
renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient
par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est
interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez
le supprimer et m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier
électronique ou par un autre moyen.