I would be happy to entertain (and formally register) a detailed, coherent
proposal for logs, error logs, diagnostic logs - location and management.
Do you still want the saved_logs directory concept? (20 or configurable?
Iterations saved)
What happens at 'startud'? Anything happen at 'stopud'?
Is the trunclog command useful?
Should the detailed UniBasic run-time error message logging provided by 7.2.0
/usr/ud72/include/msglevelconfig be placed separate from udt.errlog?
Should RFS have a separate log for error messages?
Should RFS Archiving - have a separate log for offload messages?
Client/server debug logs are inconsistent in configuration and activation. What
would you propose in this area?
Locations must be discoverable by tools that collect information for
diagnostics (such as udtdiag).
What else am I missing?

Whereas I am constantly requesting more usable content of the messages, can we
just focus on the overall architecture for this specific proposal?

This would be something to be considered by PM for UniData.NEXT and prioritized
with the rest of the enhancements.
Other venues for proposals such as this are u2-users better and better forum
and the UniData CAB (just recently formed by PM).

Any takers?
Regards,

Wally Terhune
U2 Support Architect
Rocket Software
4700 S. Syracuse Street, Suite 400 **Denver, CO 80237 **USA
Tel: +1.720.475.8055
Email: wterh...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com/u2