From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of
fft2...@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, 30 March 2010 5:14 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Regex searching UD files

Dan you can't do it because the "records" in Universe are not files at
all,
 not even logical files.  They are just possible frame-discontinous
streams
 of bytes that *Universe* interprets in run-time as a connected
"record".
Nothing else is going to be able to do that, without re-writing the
frame(block)-walker directly in Unix.

Alternatively you could write egrep in Universe yourself which would
probably be easier!
But I wouldn't read and write after each record, I would read and write
the
 entire file at *once*.  And then egrep.  I sure that would save on
thrashing at least.  If you're processing at least 10 percent of the
file,  then
you might see that writing the whole file, then switching to Unix for
the
rest will still be faster than breaking after each write.

Will Johnson

In a message dated 3/28/2010 11:22:25 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,