From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of John Hester
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:21 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Updating SQL database from Universe 10.3

If you need UV to initiate the update (UV is the client, SQL is the
server), you're going to need 3rd party middleware to talk to SQL
Server.  We do this in near real-time (a batch job runs every 3 minutes
with updates) from UV to SQL 2005 via OpenLink's ODBC middleware.
You'll want to review the UV BCI manual for details on establishing a
connection and sending the data from a BASIC program.

Initiating the update from SQL Server doesn't require any add'l
software.  You can use the ODBC connectivity built into Windows.  We
don't use this in production, although I have used it before to populate
Excel spreadsheets.  We do have UV acting as a server for JDBC
connections in production, though, and the setup on the UV side is the
same.  You'll want to see the UV ODBC Guide for instructions if you're
going this direction.

-John