I'm setting up a mysql database based on some of our UV data.

Is there a way to create a field in MySQL that is a subfield?

For instance I have a field CID for customer ID, which is a superkey based on 3
pieces
I have another file which has a key of "FILE-###" where the ### is the first 3
characters of the CID

Aside from using  'concat("FILE-",substr(CID,1,3)) as NEWFIELDNAME' on the
select line, is there any
way to define that process as NEWFIELDNAME in the field catalog for that table?
So I could reference
it as NEWFIELDNAME? Sure would make the joins look a lot neater.

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division, EDI Administrator
ggal...@wyanokegroup.com
ph:856.848.9005 Ext 220
The Wyanoke Group
http://www.wyanokegroup.com