The problem with this question is, if I understand correctly, the SELECT
F.FILENAME statement does not truly select the entire file all at once.

It essentially selects one group at a time and passes those keys to the
READNEXT statement as they become available.

Which is why the SELECT F.FILENAME makes keys available to the READNEXT
statement immediately.

I have a COUNT.FILE (FILENAME,REC.CNT) subroutine that I use to get the
number of records that are in the file just before I initiate the SELECT
F.FILENAME statement.

The subroutine performs a simple COUNT command and returns one number.

The COUNT command seems to run faster than the corresponding SELECT,
especially for larger files, since I'm guessing that it doesn't build
the list as it is reading the keys.

Even this is only a close estimate since more records can presumably be
added further down the file before my READNEXT gets to that block.

Technicians at Rocket, feel free to interject !

Sincerely,
David Laansma
IT Manager
Hubbard Supply Co.
Direct: 810-342-7143
Office: 810-234-8681
Fax: 810-234-6142
www.hubbardsupply.com
"Delivering Products, Services and Innovative Solutions"