On 09/11/10 22:21, Roy Beard wrote:
> It apparently is a 7 bit file, hence when I use vt100 (7 bit) I can read it,
> But not vt220 (8 bit).  It is not a directory but a pipe delimited file.

It looks to me a bit like a Prime file!

Can you look at the file with a hex viewer? If you've got access to
Midnight Commander I think that had a hex-view mode. If each byte starts
with 8 or higher then the file is "7 bit with parity on" and no wonder
it looks weird! You'll need to get it converted to parity off - dead
easy to say but I don't know how to string the unix utilities together
to make it work for you. But you'd just need to AND each byte with 0x7f.

Cheers,
Wol