Will,

I used the second model (originally about 20 years ago) with the initial
empty value.  Neither model is really very simple, but with the second model
we created one or two I-descriptor subroutines that can allow dictionaries
to be tailored to any tag you want to look for and select for all values
associated with that tag quite nicely.  Display routines are also not too
daunting.

There are certainly worse file structures to deal with than the second
model.  But maybe I'm biased, I 'invented' its use at a previous company,
and I and the rest of the company worked with it for at least 15 years.

Best Regards,

Richard Lewis