This what you're looking for?
http://www.mail-archive.com/u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org/msg21914.html

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of doug chanco
Sent: Friday, 10 December 2010 14:05
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] cpio: premature end of file

I don't think so this the STARTUP script that comes with the personal edition
of 10.3.3 and generates this error trying to install universe.

I am still racking my brain and the internet but I can't seem to remember
exactly what I did last time I installed universe PE and got this error but I
seem to recall something about the options to cpio, sigh getting old bites

dougc