From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Dan McGrath
Sent: Friday, 10 December 2010 3:18 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Sparse array population in Pick

100% agree, but "this is pick" doesn't mean disregard all rules of good
DB design.

Fair enough, MVDBs are designed around not subscribing to the "1st norm
form rule"; we should still present out data in the most structured
manner possible, for this will give us the greatest flexibility if/when
the system needs to be expanded.

As I said though, it all comes down to how you need to work with your
data.

My form is not the most efficient for random access of individual items,
but it does give you the flexibility of being able to sort and select on
tag/value pairs. Additional benefits are that I could also index on tag
names if required, which neither of the your original proposals can.

I reiterate though, design all comes down to the intended purpose.
Similar situations happen in SQL where you need determine if/where/how
much you should denormalize your data. Work out the most important
requirements/future requirements for your system and develop
accordingly.