The point of relational as I understand it, was to try to create a database
 where *calculations* were not required at all.  The query language could
just start spitting out results immediately without the need for any interim
 work space.  Obviously all you have to do is add a SORT to this and you
need interim workspace.  Of course if you then add just a simple index to
the field by which you are sorting, you again need no interim workspace,
although you do introduce a truckload of disk thrashing.

The issue, to my mind, isn't that Nested Relational has a string that we
interpret as multiple answers, in a single field, but rather that we by
nature  expect to be able to *break* these out on separate lines, repeating the
fields  that we see as single valued on each of those multiple lines.  That's
the  reason why first-normal form devotees see MV as different.

In a message dated 12/27/2010 6:18:40 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
antli...@youngman.org.uk writes:

On  25/12/10 04:01, Dawn Wolthuis wrote:
> Oh wow, it sure is hard not to  jump in on this one, but it's Christmas
> Eve so I will render quick  opinion and hope that the conversation is
> still going on when I really  have a chance to respond.
>
> A couple of opinions  --
>
> 1. Were it not for the standardization of SQL, a majority  of BI would
> be more easily accomplished using data modeled for and  stored in an MV
> database over a SQL DBMS.
>
> 2. The MV  model is more the future than is the legacy SQL DBMS data
> model.  Thinking that the RDBMS model has trumped the MV model makes
> sense on  the one hand, but the RDBMS model is now on the wane while
> the MV  model is part of the group of data models that will wax again,
> some  under the category "NoSQL." So, were I to write new software
> (hey, I  am working with a team that is doing just that), I would
> choose one of  the non-RDBMS models (Ok, I chose Pick/MV) rather than
> the  old-fashioned, restrictive, and so-last-century SQL DBMS tools. I
> did  choose a database with the fastest SQL implementation against the
> MV  model, however. Given that for some applications SaaS software will
>  replace software deployed by other means, user organizations will care
>  a lot less about whether the DBMS is Oracle or some other big dog.

I've  very recently heard of Date's "3rd Manifesto" or "how to force an
object  database into a relational mould" (my paraphrase :-)

When are the  relational guys going to learn that the reason object
doesn't fit  relational is that relational is BROKE!

And just to keep you in the  loop on something else, look for Wol in the
"new contributors" to  LibreOffice :-) I haven't actually done an awful
lot (it's easy to get a  lot of commits while not doing much ...) but
they need a new database :-)  so guess what - I'm planning to write
"nf2engine" for them. The problem is  family commitments as my wife now
has Parkinsons.

And I've learnt  some more about "why relational is broken" by discussing
things with other  people on the sqlite list. We'll see. At some point
soon relational will  implode, the question is  when.

Cheers,
Wol