It might be fun to try and make a list of things that IBM *didn't* have a hand
in or influence on, or even only just accidentally handle for a while (like U2)
:) It would be like trying to rewrite The Lord of the Rings without Sauron (Or
maybe more like rewriting The Silmarillion without Morgoth. I think Microsoft
is more Sauron and Apple is quickly following Saruman's errors, but that's
conversation for different mailing list). Anyway, PL/I was IBM's one
programming language to rule them all (Programming Language/One)

You could maybe make an indirect connection between PL/I and Pick. Stratus
computer's multics-based VOS operating system was written mostly in PL/I. So
some of their version of PICK OA was probably written in PL/I as well. From
inside of Stratus Pick you could call out to PL/I transaction processing code.