HMM....I seem to remember that if I convert a character to space
with CONVERT, then did a TRIM on it (and it was just spaces), would leave one
space.

BUT...testing does not produce that, and does indeed remove all.

Not sure where that came from? Maybe one of the flavors in the past did it
  and I never felt the need to reconfirm. So cool, but I'll probably still
  always check for to see if it's just a space after a trim, just because
  that's the way I've always done it :) just in case.