Good idea to have a flag if the error should be logged: if you have
several logs (eg 1 for user, 1 for tech stuff), it would be good to
say just where it should log.

Also need to be able to pass data to show in the message:  eg Customer
xxxx not on file.

Perhaps pass up to 3(?) parameters which could be included in the message.

On 10 February 2011 11:23, Dan McGrath <dmc...@imb.com.au> wrote:
> That only holds if you have implemented it wrong. Spend some time to
> think about how you would implement it.
>
> 1. Have a subroutine/function which handles the error. That is, it
> displays it as appropriate, as well as logging details as required. You
> pass it an error number and optional text for the user and optional text
> for the log.
>
> 2. In the user text, you always include the error number. This makes
> tracking it back to the exact code location easy as pie [find 'CALL
> MyErrorSub(88,']
>
> We do it with one of our online systems and it is a damn site easier to
> maintain then other systems using the 'old-school' methodology (ha!) of
> error reporting.
>

> I see so many people blame the general idea of something for the issues
> they have, rather than the incorrect way it was implemented. A little
> thought into future maintenance/usage goes a long way...

Kate Stanton
Walstan Systems Ltd
4 Kelmarna Ave, Herne Bay, Auckland 1011, New Zealand
Phone: + 64 9 360 5310  Mobile: + 64 21 400 486
Email: k...@walstan.com