Since I was following this thread, I just could get it out of my head why the
CASE syntax didn't do what you want.

The other thing that did occur to me, is it seems like your imposed
restrictions would have applied to using the DEFFUN construct.  You could
define several functions and use them at will throughout your code or wrap
IF-THEN-ELSE logic around them as needed.