> From: Symeon Breen
> ...you are consuming a socket service, and not
> accepting connections, - we do this kind of thing all
> the time using phantoms.
>
> Lets say your batch of transactions is in a file...

I agree with Symeon, phantoms are probably your answer.  While I
haven't benchmarked a solution I can easily picture a scenario
where your primary process just writes transactions, and several
phantoms are polling the transaction file for something to do.
As each phantom grabs a batch of items it's working independently
from others.  It's the grocery store checkout lane model where
the cashier says "I can help you over here", and the more lanes
that are open, the faster everyone gets out the door.  Your
existing socket code can make multiple outbound calls to the
remote server, as long as that server can handle multiple calls
on the same socket port and fork them off for processing.  That's
not your concern but of course it's a factor, and you have to
know how many client processes you can expect to process
simultaneously.  With the grocery store analogy, it doesn't
matter how many checkout lanes are open if there is only one
person running around to get price checks.

You're apparently OK with sockets but to avoid DBMS-specific
socket implementations I generally offload such processing to a
middle tier.  So the MV app simply writes to a file, the external
process extracts and handles the request, then writes a response
back to another file.  The BASIC app knows nothing about sockets,
remote servers, or any such detail, it simply writes and reads
data, which is what a database is good at - and this is more
within the comfort zone of most MV developers.  I can share more
info about such a solution for anyone who is interested.

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development services
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno