By definition - if you're creating a write trigger the first parameter is
the status.

>From "Developing UniBasic Applications"
SUBROUTINE trigname(execstat, dictflag, filename, record.ID.expr, recordval)
execstat
The execution status returned by the trigger subroutine:
0 - No updates are allowed.
1 - Updates are allowed.
2 - Updates are allowed, using the return recordval.

So if your before update trigger passes back a 0 as the execstat the write
won't be performed. You'll just need to make sure the process calling the
write can then deal with it.

Hth
Colin Alfke
Calgary, Canada

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Chanco

I am sure I can do this but I am trying to figure out the best way ........

I need to write a WRITE trigger that does the following

Call a java web service to update an SQL table (no problem)

But if the update fails do NOT update the pick record and if possible notify
the user

My question is what would be the best method/way to do this?

Do triggers use transaction logging that I could roll back the record or
should I do something more manual? Copy the record (for example)

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas welcomed and appreciated

Dougc