I created an interface with USPS a few years ago in a product
which was shelved due to overwhelming lack of field interest -
perhaps I just marketed this one poorly.
(nospam.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/products/ship.htm)
The XML exchanges worked quite well and as I recall there were
very few issues.  The documentation examples were complete and
helped to ensure that I understood the proper request and
expected return values.  If nothing has changed, I believe anyone
competent with such exchanges should not have a problem with this
specific application.

HTH