From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Charles Stevenson
Sent: Friday, 27 May 2011 11:33 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Emulate SQL MAX() function at TCL

I am going to assume we are talking about a HUGE file, otherwise efficiency
wouldn't much matter.

I don't know a GOOD way outside basic or sql to prevent a sort-selected
list from being created.   For humongous files, that may be painful.

Here is a way,  not a GOOD way, just a way.  I just can't help myself:

1. Use an I-descriptor to compare last max to current id and set new max if
necessary.
2. Use REFORMAT to continually overwrite the  same record with the newly found
max.

    ("737" is the biggest id in this example):

     >CLEAR.FILE TINYWORK
    File "TINYWORK" has been cleared.
     >REFORMAT BIGDATA EVAL "'BIGDATA.MAXID'" EVAL "@2; IF @1 > @ID THEN
    @1 ELSE @ID"
    BIGDATA.MAXID
    @2 ; IF @1 > @ID THEN @1 ELSE @ID
    File Name = TINYWORK
     >CT TINYWORK BIGDATA.MAXID

          BIGDATA.MAXID
    0001 737

     >DISPLAY  -- or if you prefer <<F(TINYWORK,BIGDATA.MAXID,1)>>
      -- or if you prefer  737

QED
(That's Latin for "Quirky Example Demonstrated")

A related I-desc could be used as REFORMAT selection criteria to limit the
writes to only when the max changes.  On average, that would halve the writes.

A huge sort-select is going to be writing to uvtemp anyway, but I'd bet your
money it will be faster than the above.
__________

If you're going to do it inside basic, like some others have suggested, you
might as well try this to avoid creating a sorted select list in memory /
uvtemp:

    SELECT FVAR
    MAXID = ""
    LOOP WHILE READNEXT ID
        IF ID > MAXID THEN MAXID = ID
    REPEAT

But test to see if it is a good idea.
I'm continually surprised by RetrieVe's efficiency compared to what I can do in
Basic.