I had started to write a perl / uv integration modules for use with perl (but
could be anything else - php, ... ) whereas you
could OPEN files and READ / WRITE records and manipulate dynamic arrays.

Basically, I had a UV phantom (or not phantom - take your pick), which was
linked to a perl listener program via FIFOs/Seqential
READ/WRITEs

The perl (or whatever)  programs would negotiate commands via the port, which
then the perl listener would pass off to the UV program.

It was originally designed so a website that was not local (but had perl
ability for a .cgi), could OPEN and READ/WRITE data to a UV Server.

If I needed to lock a record (READU), that wasn't a problem, but I needed to
come up with a time frame to allow that
record to be locked for, I initially chose 15 minutes (after which the UV
program would release the lock).

Given the issues of web traffic, where one might pull a record, then close a
browser, which unless you have some sort of AJAX
routine in the webpage which can alert the server that browser is no longer
open (maybe hitting an API every 5 seconds - once
you go 30 seconds without the API being registered - the server can consider
the browser page to be closed?)

So what is the thought on how long should one keep a record lock?

This doesn't have anything to do with physical programs that run from telnet or
so, where the system once it senses it's disconnect
would release all locks - which is not so easy to do with a web connection, and
one that is connected via port commands (essentially
an API in itself).

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division, EDI Administrator
ggal...@wyanokegroup.com
ph:856.848.9005 Ext 220
The Wyanoke Group
http://www.wyanokegroup.com