From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of George Gallen
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:59 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: [U2] Record Locks - How long should they last for? (Opinion)

I had started to write a perl / uv integration modules for use with perl
(but could be anything else - php, ... ) whereas you
could OPEN files and READ / WRITE records and manipulate dynamic arrays.

Basically, I had a UV phantom (or not phantom - take your pick), which was
linked to a perl listener program via FIFOs/Seqential
READ/WRITEs

The perl (or whatever)  programs would negotiate commands via the port,
which then the perl listener would pass off to the UV program.

It was originally designed so a website that was not local (but had perl
ability for a .cgi), could OPEN and READ/WRITE data to a UV Server.

If I needed to lock a record (READU), that wasn't a problem, but I needed to
come up with a time frame to allow that
record to be locked for, I initially chose 15 minutes (after which the UV
program would release the lock).

Given the issues of web traffic, where one might pull a record, then close a
browser, which unless you have some sort of AJAX
routine in the webpage which can alert the server that browser is no longer
open (maybe hitting an API every 5 seconds - once
you go 30 seconds without the API being registered - the server can consider
the browser page to be closed?)

So what is the thought on how long should one keep a record lock?

This doesn't have anything to do with physical programs that run from telnet
or so, where the system once it senses it's disconnect
would release all locks - which is not so easy to do with a web connection,
and one that is connected via port commands (essentially
an API in itself).

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division, EDI Administrator
ggal...@wyanokegroup.com
ph:856.848.9005 Ext 220
The Wyanoke Group
http://www.wyanokegroup.com