A couple recent comments got my attention.  As time permits
(ROFL) I've been working on a new MV-independent ODBC interface
which provides a high level of SQL-92 compliance.  I thought
people in this developer base were pretty happy with the built-in
capabilities for U2.  Is that not the case?

Why have I been doing this?  One of the difficulties people cite
in MV sales and marketing is the idea that it's difficult to plug
many mainstream reporting and BI tools into our environment.  The
solution to this problem comes in the form of products like MITS,
Entrinsik Informer, the DesignBais reporting functionality, the
and the unfortunately now defunct mvQuery.  It would be so much
better if we could tell people to just use whatever tools they
want, like Cognos, Jasper, etc, and take that off the table as a
point of contention.  This would also make the platform more
valuable to end-users who don't want to rely on their internal
staff or consultants to satisfy every reporting need.

Again, if that's not considered a problem in this base, please
share your experience.

I wasn't going to implement for U2 because I thought the current
built-in implementation was fairly complete, stable, free.  And,
frankly, the uphill battle of selling a product in this market is
overwhelming.  I've never seen a technical audience so adverse to
third-party addons, while extensibility is a hallmark of modern
mainstream platforms, and yet this community is so accepting, as
status quo, that some things simply are not possible unless it
comes from the upline.  But I digress...

This U2 market is larger than some of the others, but given my
perceptions I figured the relative returns would be quite low.
This endeavor is costly and I estimate the price per-installation
would need to be about $1500 in order to break-even with a modest
base.  If I'm wrong on the state of this technology and the
possible demand, then I may forge ahead.

Thanks for any insight.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com