I had to work with a PICK type database for a while to see the advantages
over flat relational.  The bottom line for me is the data structures. What
you have is the ability to start a list from a data item on the fly.   It
took me some time to get familiar enough with the tool to realize how
useful it is.  It fits well with the object oriented approach of
javascript and JSON is the ideal format for data exchange.  Whether or not
a system designer can take advantage of the tool depends on them.

But more important is the reliability.  Here, we have our MRP system on
Unidata.  We also have many other windows servers, a variety of databases,
etc.  Our MRP system does more work than any other server we have, and it
is as solid as a rock.  It's the system we never have a problem with.  If
the MRP system goes down we are on our knees.  If it is down very long we
shutdown.  It's never happened.  .  Reliability is key to us.  We push
close to one million dollara a day out of our doors, if we shutdown or
even slowdown, we are losing major dollars.  Our Unidata base MRP system
provides more value than any other system we have

I'm a system developer and an MBA so believe this.  Value and reliability
mean money and that trumps everything in business.

Charles Shaffer
Senior Analyst
NTN-Bower Corporation