Brian:

0. Thanks for writing and for the example code.
1.  I see that JOINS appear in my older copy of the Rocket manual.  Thus...

>SELECT * FROM LATES,INVOICE WHERE LATES.PACKSLIP = INVOICE.ID
SQL+
PACKSLIP    LATE_CODE    ASSIGNED_BY    DATE......    TIME......    ORDER......

254889      C.FC         karen          14271         34120.733     2-03757-1
256004      S.T          karen          14404         40352.5808    2-03520-18
257342      M.DR         karen          14570         54232.1935    2-02859-13

2.  CF is a built on J2EE.  Thus, ColdFusion with UniObjects for Java and JDBC
should be workable.
3.  Back to the salt mines...

--Bill