John,

I'm guessing you're using a PICK account, to use numbered select lists in these
accounts you must have $OPTIONS -S in the code. Also multiple TCL commands can
be combined together just as in a PA VOC type avoiding the need for multiple
EXECUTE's so the code could look something like this:-

$OPTIONS -S

PARAGRAPH = \SELECT FILE1 WITH VALUE = 'A' TO 1 COUNT.SUP\
PARAGRAPH<-1> = \SELECT FILE2 WITH VALUE = 'A' TO 2 COUNT.SUP\
PARAGRAPH<-1> = \MERGE.LIST 1 UNION 2 COUNT.SUP\

PERFORM PARAGRAPH

PERFORM is more efficient than EXECUTE and the COUNT.SUP suppresses the nn
records selected message.

You should also be aware that MERGE.LIST does a left justified sort on the
records and removes any duplicates.

HTH,
Andy