And it _does_ get past the udt program; i.e., it actually sends the file, and
updates the log?

I'd look at lsuser for the id running the ud program, and the permissions on
the program executable. I'd take a direct look at the user and program groups;
maybe an admin somewhere changed the user's group list, or someone recompiled
the ud pgm & changed ownership, ...

You're sure that it doesn't even get into the ud program? Could it be trying to
open a file that it can't for some reason (again, a group change would do this)
near the top of the program (or trying to execute a sub, etc), then exiting the
program, returning to the script before it clears the old file?