Adam,

Have you checked different performance stats?

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-disk-performance-monitoring-howto.html

What does avgqu-sz look like?  It should be low (ideally less than 1).
 If it tends to spike (over 10 when using a 1 second interval), do the
spikes correlate to the times that you're waiting for user response?
That would indicate that the SAN is unable to keep up with user
requests.

Do the performance metrics suggest any other bottlenecks?  You may
need to run the metrics on both the vm and the underlying os.

rex