My issue with dynamic files is that once they start splitting, the overhead
increases dramatically. This is why they do need to be maintained. If the
argument for them is "we don't have to maintain them", you're mistaken.
Granted, a terribly sized dynamic file will perform better than a terribly
sized static file, which brings us back to the original subject: use a tool
like FAST, and maintain your files, whether static or dynamic.