From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Rex Gozar
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:19 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Mercurial/TortoiseHg source version control

Bonnie,

I use CVS (currently porting my scripts to use Mercurial) for Universe
program version control.

A lot depends on your "version control" paradigm; many software
developers "checkout" their source code and "build" their software
from scratch.  This is what I do here; I make changes to the source
code repository, build the software accounts, then upgrade existing
sites with the new software.

Some developers don't "build" their software, but rather modify
production programs "on the fly" and use version control software to
track their changes.  Making changes in a "development" account and
copying into production is a variant on this approach.

The different approaches to software changes require different
capabilities.  Which approach is closer to your development method?

rex