Without going in to much detail, this can all be done in Eclipse IDE.  I
can copy all of the programs from an account to my workstation which can
then be loaded into any version control system that has an Eclipse plug-in
like MS Team Foundation Server, CVS, Subversion, Git, Mercurial, and
Perforce to name the ones I know off.  The Mercurial eclipse plug-in is at
http://www.javaforge.com/project/HGE.  Of course, you need an Eclipse
plug-in that is Unidata or Universe aware.  There are other tools that
allow building of accounts daily, hourly, or whatever as well for Universe
and Unidata databases.

[ad] Those tools are XLr8Editor for programs, procs, dictionaries, and all
files.  XLr8Installer for the install you demo, QA, or production accounts.
 These tools are very cost effective at $49.00 for the XLr8Editor and
$99.00 for the XLr8Installer.  See u2logic.com/tools.html for more
information.[/ad]

Regards,
Doug
www.u2logic.com