From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of DavidJMurray
(mvdbs.com)
Sent: Saturday, 17 December 2011 1:38 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Graph DataBase

I also, to some extent, agree with Dawn.

The mv, NF**2, post relational, PICK, or whatever the correct model name is, it
is not a relational database. There are very strict definitions to a relational
database, namely, but not complete, normalisation, SQL, joins etc.

Yes, the mv model can emulate a relational database. But, it you throw away the
dict part of a file, the data is actually in a form of a document.

And, if you go way back to the definition of a database model created for
analysis - Entity-Relationship by Chen in the early 1980's, the mv model is
very close to the ER model. So, if you add back the dictionaries, the database
model could be a DDERDBMS - Dictionary Driven Entity-Relationship Data Base
Management System.

Anyway, whatever mongoDB classify themselves as, so should the PICK model.

But then, U2 is not that well known, as it is not marketed to end users per se.
It is an embedded database for VAR's. The focus is on the application, not the
underlying database. This could be seen as a problem in some markets. So, it
could be seen to be lost energy promoting the database to end users or
developers within the nosql market as U2 is not open source, hence costs money,
does not scale that well (sharding and/or federation) and is not really for
high volume loads within a web service delivery environment.

It's a good solid product for well established actively-promoted vertical
market applications which need to extend to the surrounding I.T. ecosystem.

Dawn Wolthuis wrote:

> I do disagree with this. If neo4j meets the not-determined criteria
> (except by marketing departments) then MV products do too. MV  vendors
> might have suggested they are relational at varying points in their
> history (again marketing depts) but they do not meet Relational or at
> least SQL-only DBMS criteria. We are very much in the not-SQL-only
> camp whether we proclaim it or not. No product in that mix does
> everything. I put Tom del's nodal logo on a blog entry in 2006. It is
> someone in the MV space that has the nodal domains. We are NoSQL, no
> doubt, but we can decide to stay in our MV sandbox rather than joining
> the game if we so choose. --dawn

-----

Learn and Do
Excel and Share