On 20/12/11 14:17, John Thompson wrote:
True.  But if you don't use yum, yum doesn't update its database properly
of what has been installed/updated and will sometimes complain on its next
run.  Plus yum seems to do a much better job of automatically installing
the dependencies you need, without having to manually do it.

WEIRD!!!

aiui, yum doesn't have its own db, it just uses the rpm db!

I come from the Debian world, and I always hated rpm, so I was glad to see
them improve it over the years.  Just my two cents.

The problem was never rpm, the problem was (a) poor rpm spec files, and (b) conflicting package definitions. Because all the apt/dpkg distros were derived from debian, they kept debian conventions, and debian also had sane definition files.

But because the no 2 rpm-based distro was not a Red Hat derivative, they kept their own packaging conventions, and drove a coach and horses through any attempt to make rpms compatible across distros.

Two interesting factoids - rpm was written by Caldera, and SuSE is a slackware derivative :-)

Cheers,
Wol