From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: December-21-11 1:31 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Is there any ORM's for Universe. NHibernate, Entity Framework etc

>From : Adrian Halid

> Has anybody tried or found an ORM for Universe.
>
> I am looking at something along the lines of NHibernate or Entity
> Framework.

[AD]

Yes, and to my knowledge there is only one.  mv.NET includes a component called
Solution Objects.  You start with your standard dictionary defs.  You add
details required for strongly typed properties to create Extended definitions.
You then define business objects which aggregate files and BASIC rules, and
define strongly typed collections and relationships amongst the various
classes.  Then you generate C# or VB.NET code which you then compile into a
DLL.  The new modules are as capable as those of NHibernate or EF for
validating data, supporting read-only properties, managing cascading updates,
etc.  You have all of the source and can walk through and change the
functionality if required.  The code is generated off of templates (like
CodeSmith) which you can change to effect global changes to your apps.  Direct
file read/write is managed for you, or you can choose to have I/O go through
your BASIC code (which is more in-line with the way we all prefer to do it).

You can give your finalized library to clients or colleagues to represent their
view into your platform.  Some VARs want to offer their more sophisticated
clients a new advanced interface into the app - this is it.  Give them a DLL
and support it just like any other component of your app (for free or fee).  As
a service I offer to build and support SDKs like this for VARs.

Since you're in Australia, I recommend you contact T-Data Pty Ltd, as they are
your regional resellers for mv.NET.  As a worldwide Distributor I'll also be
happy to answer all questions, and to provide mv.NET and related development
services.

Before Solution Objects, I created a MV provider for CSLA and ..netTiers, and I
wrote my own Visual Studio plugin which generates strongly typed classes from a
MV datasource.  I was also writing a plugin based on the FOSS SQLite provider,
which allows all Database Explorer functionality from VS, so that we could
create EF libraries from MV as easily as we could from SQL Server.  This was
fun and the tools were very useful to me for that kind of work.  But given that
there is almost no market in this community for such things, and my time for
tool development was limited, I decided to direct all of my efforts in this
area toward helping to make Solution Objects the kind of solution that we all
want in this kind of tool.  There really isn't anything else like this in this
market, so not only is mv.NET Solution Objects the only option, but it also
happens to be a very good one.

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products worldwide, and
provides related development services remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog Visit
PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno