Robert, sincere apologies, and thanks for the correction.

To avoid misunderstandings, there is a huge difference between a
DataSet and a strongly typed business object.  They are sometimes
used alternatively but there are times when one or the other is
absolutely required.  If ORM was as simple as returning a dataset
we wouldn't have a need for ORM frameworks like NHibernate, CSLA,
or commercial offerings like the Telerik OpenAccess ORM.

Here is one excellent Q&A on the topic:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/657327/is-dataset-an-orm

[Another obligatory AD tag here I guess]

The word "proprietary" may prompt some discussion: Every
framework does what it does in a unique fashion, that's what
differentiates it from others.  In this regard, all commercial
and FOSS frameworks are "proprietary".  But I did mention that
the source which mv.NET generates is completely open, as are the
templates that it uses.  The generated classes are all "partial"
which means you can modify the generated code.  But preferred and
better, partial stub classes are also generated which allow
developers to hook into functionality at many key points.
Generate the base classes as many times as you want and never
lose your mods.  In the context of the request for an ORM, people
actually do want to generate DLLs which are proprietary to their
own application.  There's nothing wrong with that, that's the
goal, and that's exactly what mv.NET helps VARs to generate.  I
position this as a feature.

In addition to Solution Objects and the code generator component,
mv.NET also includes the Adapter Objects library which renders
collections of items as a strongly-typed DataSet, with Tables,
Rows, Columns, etc.  UO.NET has similar functionality.  All this,
yes, and much much more, are included in the same reasonably
priced offering.

Now, mv.NET does Not have any functionality related to Java.  If
you need to deploy over *nix or you're creating JARs for existing
Java clients, then I highly recommend investigation of
FusionWare's offerings as a valuable superset of UOJ.

As an independent developer, my position in this game of tool
sales is different from others.  I sell specific software
packages because I like them - I don't like them because I sell
them.  I won't sell software or services to a company if I know
there's a better solution for a specific need.  So I recommend
that anyone interested in connectivity above and beyond UO should
look at all of the options.  If it turns out that someone likes
the same tools I like, great, the commission earns me a cup of
coffee for my time.  If not, I hope to benefit by learning why
people made other choices.  It's all about solutions, not tools -
or should be anyway.