No idea if this is still relevant to you, but I found this thread when trying
solve the same problem, as we are looking to migrate to Win 2008 r2.

The root of the problem is that splwow64.exe (32 bit print processor for
Windows) is loaded on demand. By default it stays resident in memory for 1
minute after the last use. The long delay comes whenever it needs to be loaded
before the print can take place.

The solution is to increase this timeout by editing the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\
Create a new 32bit DWORD SplWOW64TimeOut and set it to however many minutes you
want the timeout to be.

Hope this helps!
Tim