Tough luck, sounds like hard earned money to me.
Happy hunting.

But I guess I better stop feeding the troll.:-X

On 26/01/2012 20:58, Wjhonson wrote:
Mecki you're not paying attention.
You have an 8000 line program that uses a variable "A"
You didn't write it.  You need to find where that variable is assigned.
You search for A ?

That's not going to work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mecki Foerthmann<mec...@gmx.net>
To: u2-users<u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Thu, Jan 26, 2012 12:55 pm
Subject: Re: [U2] Passing by Value

No, you are completely wrong if you think that is only your world.
ho in our game has the luxury working only with their own code?
  have been doing what you describe for over 25 years now and probably
ost of the contributors here do the same thing for a living too and not
ust since yesterday.
nd I may have made that silly mistake once or twice as a junior but
ince then it has become second nature.
nd in those days we didn't have the luxury of 8000 line programs
ecause the limit for any item was 32K and you were forced to use very
hort variable names and couldn't even indent your code because spaces
re characters too.
n one shop I worked we used X, Y, Z etc. in 'primary' code and in
nternal subroutines XX, YY, ZZ and so on for loop counters.
  personally prefer more meaningful names but can't do that always
ecause I try to follow the naming conventions of the code I'm working on.
Even the editor you use is irrelevant since I haven't seen one yet that
oesn't have a search function.
ust go to the top of the program and search for the variable name you
ntend to use.
f your search comes up negative you're safe to use it.
imple!
And OTOH how can you make 'rapid changes' to code if you don't
nderstand what it is supposed to do and where the varibles come from?