Have encountered exactly this issue.

You can convert the raw xml to xlsx (using DocumentFormat.OpenXml.Spreadsheet)
and Excel will happily open this.  Sadly, have found that iPhone still can't.
Not sure why yet but it may be an Apple thing:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2494221?start=0&tstart=0

Brett

"Israel, John R." <johnisr...@daytonsuperior.com> wrote in message
> No, the Smart Phones can not open the XML at all.  The txt and xls files can
> be opened, but they are just text.  Managers want to be able to read the
> files cleanly.
>
> I am guessing the issue is that when a smart phone opens a true Excel file,
> it is not running Excel, but some sort of emulator.  The emulator does not
> have all the bells and whistles that a full blown version of Excel has, thus
> undesirable results.
>
> John

the property of GPM Development Ltd. It is intended only for the person to whom
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient ,you are not authorized
to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or
any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

This e-mail was sent to you by GPM Development Ltd.  We are incorporated under
the laws of England and Wales (company no. 2292156 and VAT registration no. 523
5622 63).  Our registered office is 6th Floor, AMP House, Croydon, Surrey CR0
2LX.