DO the resize at Unix with the memresize command and you can specify where the
TMP space is. So you can use space from another file system during the resize.

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Rainer Viehöfer
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:10 AM
To: U2-USERS@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] UD: Resizing and Caching

Unidata 7.1.8  Sun Fire 4500 32 GB RAM

Main Storage on an EMC SAN.

Single Application: 24/7 Library database, no replication.

Hello,

perhaps someone can help me or point me to an piece
of helpful text with the following two questions:

1. Our storage operator claims that we produce too much steam
on his drives. Are there UD parameters to look at in respect of
Unidata caching?

2. For better performance I try to resize some of the files.
It often happens, that no space for the temporary file can be found
or it is not possible to copy the resized file as shown below:
(happens with memresize as well)

The actual file size in bytes         = 34798592.
Suggested resize modulo = 30449.
:RESIZE AAF.KEY.BSN.BIS 30449
AAF.KEY.BSN.BIS is a synonym, real name is
/usr/ud/opacfiles/AAF.KEY.BSN.BIS.
The temporary file for RESIZE is /dev/shm/rsztp7nw1D8.
Not enough space to copy /dev/shm/rsztp7nw1D8 back to
/usr/ud/opacfiles/AAF.KEY.
BSN.BIS.
RESIZE failed. Cannot mv file.

This is our file system design:

Dateisystem          1K-Blöcke   Benutzt Verfügbar Ben% Eingehängt auf
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       34252528  27323732   5188816  85% /
/dev/sda1               101086     65155     30712  68% /boot
none                  16224128   5548488  10675640  35% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01
                      103662848  33754404  64642628  35% /tmp
/dev/mapper/urica_prodp1
                       88591264  42596672  45994592  49% /usr/ud

Can I force Unidata not to use /dev/shm but /tmp instead?

Yours sincerely,

Rainer Viehoefer

Rainer Viehöfer

Digitale Bibliothek
Bibliothekarische Datenverarbeitung

BIS - Bibliotheks- und Informationssystem
der Universität Oldenburg
Universitätsbibliothek
Postfach 2541
26015 Oldenburg - Germany
Tel  : +49 (0)441 798 22 65
Fax  : +49 (0)441 798 40 40
Mail : rainer.viehoe...@uni-oldenburg.de

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this email in error,
please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown.
This email transmission may contain confidential information.  This
information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to
whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.  Please delete it from
your files if you are not the intended recipient.  Thank you for your
compliance.  Copyright (c) 2012 Cigna